Sunday, July 12, 2009

Enough with the Stuff Already

I have spent the last week, which is if you don't already realize it, the second week of my VERY limited summer vacation, going through my stuff.


At first I thought it was my beloved belongings, my treasures, the momentos of my life. I knew decisions must be made about what to do do with these items.... to store? to display? to toss? to give away? and....then that led to more questions....store where? display where? Give away to whom? Permanently or just until I might someday, maybe possibly build on and have more space? Geez............ ENOUGH ALREADY!! I was making my own self dizzy with all the craziness.


It was, after all, just stuff. chozchkes......right?


As the temperatures rose, and the hours ticked by, then the days rolled on, it somehow became easier to make those decisions. More and more often, I could answer my own questions. If I had not been yearning for it in the last year....and I mean dreaming of it, wishing for it...dying to get my hands on it and place it in a position of honor in my new home with my beloved husband...well, it just had to go.


14 old cell phone chargers? Trash 'em

3 ironing boards? Are you kidding me? Trash.

Cords...electrical thingys that hook into other thingys? Junk 'em.

8,674 ink pens? To the dump?

Plastic Flowers? Dump-o

Anything peach, mauve, forest green, navy blue? To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump.





Sweet merciful heavens, it is 109 degrees out here, I believe I will go in and have a diet Dr. Pepper and maybe just a teensy nap.


And believe me in those particular moments, I did not care particularly where any item went....although I knew where it would end up. In the dump...which in the village in which I live...I like to call it the village because it sounds so romantical.....ya know, I'm FANCY like that and all. Anyways, our dump is a little different than you might be familiar with. It is, after all, a great giant humongous trash compactor that the citizenry uses whenever they like as long as it is Monday, Wednesday or Friday and before 7 p.m. I know that you must be practically numb now with boredom over that information, but you never know when that kind of tidbit might come in useful. So.....


Back to the big STUFF extravaganza. The deal is, in case anyone might read this besides well, my daughter. I'm moving furniture from my old house...where I lived as a single mother to teenagers, then alone. It was an antique filled house...and though it needed work, it was sorta my dream house. But some dreams are more important than others and God works that out in his own way. Because THENNN, my dream man showed up and lived in a nearby town (which I call, The Village). So, when we married last year, I moved to his home. My old, single-woman home has been sitting empty ever since. The day came to empty it out and that was LAST WEEK. Now I have had to do something with all the stuff and I do mean ALL.


But it's been good and cathartic to close the chapter on that period of my life. My son and I have had some chats reminiscing about the good times we had in that house. (some things I should never had heard about!).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!!! It's more fun that way.....