Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Long Time No See

First of all, I am aware that it has been 17 long months since I have updated this blog.  I don't know if anyone read it in the first place but my reluctance to write was more than mere writer's block.  I was suddenly overcome with concerns and changes and every other little thing in the world that was an excuse not to write.

Turns out, at least one or two people read my rantings, raves, and rages because I have been asked by several people to continue...and I think I will!  I very much enjoyed reading blogs.  I read blogs by people who want to save money (like me, but 25 years younger).  I read them by women who want to look better (just as I do...but they are 25 years younger).  I read blogs by people who want to be closer to the Lord (like me, but.....well, you know!!)  They want to cook better, decorate their houses better, raise wonderful children....all the things I do, but at a much later time in my life.  Surely other 53 year old women have noticed this same trend?????  Well, I stated how old I am so THAT mystery is over....let's get on with what's happening around here...

There is so much going on in my life right now.

My church is under an active effort to improve almost everything about ourselves.  Our worship, our faithfulness, our music, our instruction of children.  It's exciting!

As the principal of an elementary school, things are just peachy.  We are in the second semester which is always incredibly busy.  Second of all, the state of Texas has decided to bless us with a new state assessment of our children and everything they know, think, and do.  It is higher-order, highly rigorous, and has just about put US ALL in a rigor.  But not quite.  We (and by that, I mean my fabulous staff of teachers, paraprofessionals, etc.) have been hanging in there, steady as she goes, teaching our children to the very best of their abilities.

I am currently teaching a weekly "Lunch and Learn" for a small group of parents from my community.  We are taking a look at "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Kevin Leman.  It is a great book on how to train/discipline/structure the life of your children.  It involves the least amount of confrontation with the best possible results that I can imagine......if it's "used as instructed"...just like your antibiotics!!

Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days By Dr. Kevin Leman

It's a good book...and like all good books, can be found at Amazon for a decent price.  Also available on Kindle and e-readers, which is the way that a few of the mother's in my group got their book.  Oh, how I love technology!!!  It's all the things I love wrapped up in one:  efficiency, informational, and cheaper than the alternative! Our first chapter study boiled down to this.  When dealing with your children,
1.  Tell them once.
2.  Turn around.
3.  Walk away.

What simplicity!  And I can tell you from the 469 kiddos that are in my school.....and the two I raised....it works!!  I now so regret the times I chased my children down in the house, hoping they would "fess up" to the crime, while I ranted and raved about all I had done for them...and wouldn't it be nice if they would show just a smidgen of respect and appreciation for what I had trained them to do?  Wouldn't it?????  If only Kevin Leman had come to my rescue then!!  I've decided that I will pay for my grown children's therapy if they or the judicial system decides they need it. 

Because clearly, things are my fault.  What things?  Everything.  But as I'm getting older, my past is getting better and I think now, as my memory is getting foggy, that  I probably should've been named Mother of the Year several years in a row back in the 80's.  But I.am.not.bitter.  At all.

Could I cram anymore into this post?  Could it be any more boring?

My daughter has a cool blog.  She's one of those young women in this country that writes a blog like we used to write entries in our diaries.  They are consistent and somewhat revealing in their personal lives.  But unlike my old diary posts, it is uplifting and promising and very full of life!!  You can find a younger version of myself at :  http://kaylietess.wordpress.com/.  It might be interesting for some of you to see how alike and simultaneously how different we are.


Okay, final thought....I've got to change this banner on this blog!!  Why, oh why did I like it 17 months ago???

Be blessed,
Boo

5 comments:

  1. I love your Blog. Followed it before and am very impressed with what I read. I remember the past more and the present less..relate to what you said and wish I had read that book about ..lets see..John is 42..really needed it then and now with grands...dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. KEEP THIS UP....I LOVE IT....AND LOVE YOU!!!!!!! paulette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! and I'm adding you to my list...
    Roch :0)
    (I'm sure you only know one, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haaaa!!! So glad you guys are joining me...I'm having a great time and my daughter and a few others sort of "guilted" me into writing again. It's fun...but so much more fun when I hear from people who are reading! You know, I've held back from writing about Lily bug, but that's coming...get ready to yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovin' your creativeness. We could put out a great yearbook or two. Hugs, B. Joye

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!!! It's more fun that way.....