Wednesday, January 18, 2012

XXOO Valentine's Advice (and a Warning)

Hello there again!!

With Valentine's Day coming, I think I shall choose to talk about V-Day gifts.  Because I feel it is my responsibility to share my many years of Valentine's Day successes and failures with you.
CANDY
My first Valentine's Day other than the class exchange...which I always loved....was in 5th grade.  Right as Mrs. Hesta Hestand  (yes, that it her real name) was taking attendance, a 6th grade boy....the cutest 6th grade boy, I might add, appeared at my classroom door with a GORGEOUS white heart filled with chocolates.  Perhaps he could tell by my body shape that I was an old gal that would appreciate something with lots of calories.  He was right, and I was in love.  The puppy kind, but it lives on as one of my favorite memories.  Embarrassing but special.  I loved it. Thanks, Tony! And I'll tell you why I loved it.  I was 10 years old.  If the object of your affection is over 10 years old, I would not advise this particular gift.  It's just cheesy and cliche.
FLOWERS
Second big experience:  7th grade and my boyfriend (we already had out lives all planned out...cabin by a lake and 4 boys named:  Joseph, Jason, Jeremy, and Joshua) surprised me by having a single red rose delivered.  I still consider this one of if not THE best Valentine's Day.  It did not bother me one bit that his Mom was a florist and this gift was probably selected because it was the easiest to come by.  Moral of this story:  Flowers are always good if you can afford them and you order early enough to get nice ones.  Precautionary warning:  don't have the bill sent to the house for your wife to pay.  Ruins the mystery and delight of the whole thing.  The day she receives the bill will be a bad evening for you and YOU WILL NOT KNOW WHY.

GIANT TEDDY BEARS
I was listening to CNN on the way to work this morning.  One of the advertisements was for a "sure to please" gift of a giant Teddy Bear and 5-6 ft. roses for your love.  And that is why I'm writing this post.  Surely Goodness and Mercy you can find something that won't be scary or over the top like this is bound to be!!  It WILL get a response, but I'm not sure it will be the kind you are expecting.  The ad promised not only a LIFE-SIZED teddy bear and giant roses, but if you ordered within 60 minutes, you would also receive a Valentine's t-shirt for your sweetheart.  It just kept getting worse and worse!  There is no way you could frame this present as one that expresses your deep love, affection and respect for your wife/girlfriend, etc.  The message it sends: 

  • I picked this up at the carnival last year.   OR
  • I thought enough of you to order this up in advance...so in my heart of hearts I truly believe this is a fabulous present.  OR
  • I wasted money trying to be hip by sending this present ironically.
HA!!  I fooled you, didn't I?  You didn't know this was going to be a rant.  Well, anyway, I don't have any suggestions for a really great Valentine's present.  Dinner is good, and you cannot go wrong with jewelry.  That's about the extent of my knowledge on adult Valentine's that will be received well. 

Maybe you can think of something......and let me know!!

XXXOOOO

1 comment:

  1. Well... I'd have to agree. can't go wrong with another pandora charm. And for me this Valentines, is it bad I'm canceling my class that night?? I just can't bear the thought of teaching while my husband is at home when we should be out spending too much money on food that's not that great!! Ah...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!!! It's more fun that way.....