Monday, July 19, 2010

In the Good Ole Summertime

I took a little walk down memory lane a few days ago.  I was cleaning out a storage building and came across three cd's of photos from 8-10 years ago.  It got me to reminiscing about years past.  I had a few laughs and a few tears.  These, thankfully were witnessed only by my dog and my recliner...both which which I have an unusually close relationship.  Some might say unhealthy.  And by some, I mean my doctor and my scales.
But I digress.
Anyway, looking at all those pictures brings me to this conclusion:  I just LOVE SUMMERS.  Because I am entering my 28th year of education (and some of you can relate), I have always saved everything up for the summer.  Vacations with the family, girlfriend trips, 10 foot high piles of ironing, housecleaning, repairs to the home that I intend to do and never do until....summer.
Truly, my children understood this.  Mommy was just too busy during the school year to do...well, anything I guess.  (According to them)  There were perks to being a teacher's kid.  All the paper clips and markers they cared to play with after school.  They went along on their share of school-related errands and trips.  My kiddos starred in pep rallies, homecoming parades.  They dressed in miniature cheerleader outfits and football uniforms.  They were babied by cheerleaders and their mothers when I was a cheerleader sponsor.   They were children that literally belonged to the small town that we lived in at the time. 
My daughter, now aged 25,  swears that when she got sick at school when she was in elementary (and I taught high school) that I made her sleep on a bean bag under my desk while I continued to teach on about whatever I thought was absolutely essential for those young minds to know.  Since I was at that time a business teacher...it was probably how to change an element on the IBM Selectric II.  Real helpful, huh?  By the way, for those of you under the age of 50....that's a typewriter.  Very fancy in its day.  We were cool like that.  Oh my.  I guess the point is that I was a very dedicated professional.  Do not stop teaching for anything.  Or at least that's the story my daughter tells.  Now, as a principal....I would scold a teacher for doing that.
And then I would go in and smooch on their children.  But I've mellowed.  Alot.

Now....I hang my head as I recall one April when my son...having, I'm sure, been told many times that "we'll have to wait till summer" when asking me various questions.....asked me this question....the question that would sear my soul and heart..twinge my conscience...sent me right home from work where I would stay and pay special attention to my family THAT VERY NIGHT.  What was that question??????

"Mom,  this summer....could you bake us a cake?"

He got his cake that evening.

With a flourish and a hug.

Have a great REST of your summer. Encourage each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!!! It's more fun that way.....